At long last, the work is finished on the fifth edition of A Guide to Fashion Sewing. An enormous effort went into bringing this classic book up-to-date. Each fashion illustration is new with a younger look, which gives this edition a fresh appeal. All the illustrations are highlighted with color to show more precisely what to do at each step of the sewing process. A companion DVD helps the reader learn basic sewing skills and techniques such as seams, darts, bias bindings, zippers, and garment assembly. STUDIO TIPS within the book focus on the important features that are used within the fashion industry.
Brand new to this edition is an expanded chapter on fashion fabrics; it includes a color insert, as well as information on the newest fibers, blends and eco-friendly categories. New appendices include a list and directory of fabric suppliers, both wholesale and retail.
This 400-page book includes anything and everything within a fashion garment. It progresses from basic theory to simple sewing techniques, concluding with more complex techniques and applications such as plackets, linings, bustiers and tailoring. Readers will learn how to assemble and construct designs of various styles using proven fashion industry techniques for more than 100 step-by-step sewing applications. To help guide the new designer, a new section in this book lists suggested learning projects.
This book is an indispensible resource for creating fashionable and professional-looking garments. It provides a comprehensive fashion sewing education for beginning and experienced sewers alike.
• Step-by-step instructions are accompanied by large, clear illustrations
• Tables provide one-stop information for selecting fabrics by garment category with tips on care, pressing, and sewing
• Guidelines explain how to select linings and interfacings for typical fabrics with performance qualities and tips on caring
• "Method to this Madness" chapter outlines the entire garment assembly process as a logical sequence so students will understand the step-by-step method of sewing dresses, blouses, skirts, or pants
• "Tricks of the Trade" supply helpful hints that are usually only learned through experience
• Appendices include: Metric Conversion Tables and Fashion Sewing Resources
©2011, 400 pp., softcover
|1 The Sewing Machine and Sewing Equipment
|2 Identifying Fashion Fabrics Equipment
|3 Body Types and Size Charts
|4 Planning a Desing & Selecting Fabric
|5 Method to This Madness
|9 Pleats and Tucks
|10 Bias and Bias Treatments
|11 Sewing with Knits
|Glossary of Sewing Terms
|Projects - Putting It All Together
|Yardage Conversion Table